There was a fiery exchange in the legislature Wednesday over the Centennial Building redevelopment in Fredericton.
The Progressive Conservatives axed the project in late 2018 — after millions had already been spent — to help address the provincial deficit and table a balance with a surplus.
Fredericton North Liberal MLA Stephen Horsman said the project would have saved millions of dollars and created hundreds of jobs.
“It was very disappointing to see no mention of the Centennial Building in [Tuesday’s] capital budget,” said Horsman. “Thanks to the short-sighted policies of this government, this building, which was to become a centrepiece of downtown, has now become an eyesore for our capital city.”
In 2017, the previous Liberal government announced it would restore part of the building and replace the rest with a five-storey courthouse.
But Higgs said the Liberals had “no real plan” for the empty building in the city’s downtown.
“What I’m pleased to talk about here today is there is a plan that will be announced very soon, I would say before Christmas, and it’s a real plan. It utilizes the assets here in this city,” said Higgs.
Horsman said the Liberals did have a plan for the building and spent $16 million on it, which the PCs threw away when they axed the project. He said the Tories have also cost taxpayers “tens of millions” in cancellation costs.
The Higgs government put out a request for proposals earlier this year but have not made any announcements since.
Horsman said at least one developer has publicly said they are frustrated with the tendering process, which prompted a heated response from Higgs.
“You know what’s different [about the tendering process], Mr. Speaker? I’m not in the middle of it, that’s what’s different about this,” said Higgs.
“We’re letting it follow a course, Mr. Speaker, and may the best bidder win. That’s the goal.”




