Mixed reactions from the Friends of Rockwood Park over Common Council’s decision to halt potential development in the park.
Council voted this week to stop plans to rezone 1671 Sandy Point Road from park to mid-rise residential.
Joan Pearce says she was very pleased by the “surprising” decision, but tells us it’s only a small victory for members of the group.
“We all have to be eternally vigilant about this because I really don’t think it’s over,” says Pearce. “The park is really, really important, so we just have to keep at it.”
Pearce says many residents were opposed to the possible development, despite Mayor Don Darling and some councillors saying it was only a “small minority” of people.
Rockwood Park is Safe! https://t.co/LRGuSlkRUy pic.twitter.com/AmpJqM0UY6
— Save Rockwood Park (@rockwoodparkNB) January 18, 2018
A review of the property was launched last year after an economic growth strategy said developing municipal property on Sandy Point Road could help increase tax-based growth in the city.
But on Monday night, Coun. Gary Sullivan put forward a motion to stop the process, saying there was simply too much public opposition.
It’s not the first time the property has been the target of possible development; back in 2008, a proposal came forward that would have seen 160 units built.
Staff recommended in 2011 that residential development be allowed in some areas of Sandy Point Road, including the property in question.
But council voted against the motion and decided to rezone 1671 Sandy Point Road as park zone.
Pearce says she’s worried other properties in the area could be targeted for development by council down the road.
“We were assured that this was the only property that was being considered at this time, but it was this currently or at this time that kind of indicates that maybe in the future the other properties will be under the gun, I guess,” she says.
Pearce says council is not getting the message that Rockwood Park and others like it are important to residents and should not be developed.




