Skip to content

The DEC Votes To Examine Closing Two Central Schools and Build A New One

The Anglophone South District Education Council is taking another pass at dealing with a solution for the declining enrolment and age at 7 inner city schools.

The DEC commissioned another report by Ernst and Young examining several scenarios with some including additions to existing schools and closing others.

A significant change after last year’s controversy is this approach is multi-phase impacting only one neighbourhood this year.

The chair of the DEC, Rob Fowler, explains the motion they passed at last night’s meeting.

He says the motion is to look at the sustainibility of the two schools, Prince Charles and St. John the Baptist King Edward School, with the idea of closing both and building a new school to accomodate Kindergarten to Grade 8 students in the community.

Two members of the DEC voted against the motion.

Fowler says the DEC has had preminary discussions with both the City of Saint John and the Province about finding enough land, they need at least 6 acres, for a new school in the south end.

The next step will be public meetings at both schools some time in October.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
May 19, 2026
weather icon 11°C
L: 11° H: 11°

What’s Trending