New Brunswick is now in the depths of winter but the number of influenza cases is down considerably this season.
Acting chief medical health officer Dr. Jennifer Russell says the province had 68 cases as of mid-January.
“Of those cases, 20 are the influenza-associated hospitalizations. So we had 3 patients in ICU (intensive care unit) and 2 deaths and one outbreak reported in a nursing home,” she adds.
Dr. Russell says the cases of hospitalizations and the deaths are associated with influenza but they may not be directly linked to the flu.
Despite lower numbers so far this year, she adds high-risk groups such as the elderly, pregnant women and small children should still get a flu shot.
Publicly funded flu vaccines are still available for eligible groups. https://t.co/pFgniIhYNX
— N.B. Dept. of Health (@NBHealth) January 19, 2017




