Skip to content

Demolition Begins At Gothic Arches

A piece of Saint John’s history is coming down.

Demolition began Wednesday at the Gothic Arches church on Princess Street.

The century-old building has been on the city’s dangerous and vacant buildings list for the past 10 years.

It was recently bought by local developer Percy Wilbur, who plans to turn the lot into an eight-storey “luxury” apartment building.

Wilbur says at first he wanted to preserve the building, which has been on the city’s dangerous and vacant building list for the past ten years.

He consulted with architects and engineers, who all said the building is too far gone.

Hunter O’Hara, 6, was watching the building demolition with his mom after school Wednesday.

He says the process has so far been thrilling to watch.

“It’s awesome! When they were tearing down up top off the door, there were big pieces falling down,” he said.

His mom Natalie says their family lives on Orange Street, and the church has been a staple in their neighbourhood for decades.

“I think it’s sad, but I understand. They tried to save it. I think for a lot of people it’s sad,” she said.

“It’ll be interesting to see what comes up, but it’s sad to see it go. It’s a piece of history”

Natalie says her and Hunter have been watching the smaller tear-down process for the last few weeks.

She says the two will likely be out watching the demolition every day after school, as Hunter’s bus stop is right across the street.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Saint John, CA
weather icon 14°C
L: 14° H: 14°

What’s Trending