Skip to content

Enterprise Saint John Offers Support To Sussex In Wake Of Mine Closure

Enterprise Saint John joining the chorus of those offering words of encouragement and support to Sussex following the announcement of the closure of the Picadilly mine with over 400 workers losing their jobs.

Board Chair Larry Hachey saying to those impacted that they know when these things happen they’re like a punch to the gut and you’re wondering where you’re going to go next. He says don’t give up hope because there are jobs on the horizon. He says they may not happen for you tomorrow but certainly within the next several months.

He points to JDI setting up a job fair in Sussex on Thursday. The company is looking to fill 7900 jobs over the next three years in Canada and the US with 89-percent of those in the Atlantic provinces. Enterprise SJ also points to the Port which saw a 10-percent increase in growth over 2014 and tourism saw five consecutive months of growth last year.

Hachey says in Saint John they’re trying to get the message out that there are other industries in the city hiring and those industries have already reached out to Sussex.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
May 20, 2026
weather icon 9°C
L: 9° H: 9°

What’s Trending